Thursday, September 29, 2005

More on Holland

Reading the two posts below about Holland got me thinking more about the essay. (I commented here and somewhat passionately here.)

Recently, I learned something cool. The author, Emily Perl Kingsley, was a writer on Sesame Street before she had a son with Down syndrome. When her son was about kindergarten age, he (and another boy with Down syndrome) became regulars on the show. How cool that a whole generation of children grew up seeing children with Down syndrome integrated into normal life routines on Sesame Street!

When he grew up, Jason Kingsley wrote a book with another young man who has Down syndrome. What an amazing accomplishment. It's on my bookshelf; I'll review it after I've finished it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is amazing, and wonderful to hear.

I also loved your post from your own blog. Do you ever thinking about blowing it up to poster size and plastering it on the sides of city buses? So many people need to learn what you know.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Sarahlynn said...

Thank you, Beanie Baby. :)

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home