Tuesday, July 26, 2005

School Supplies

This seems trivial to write about, but it I am minorly affected by it each year as the beggining of school draws near. The thought of school supplies, school supply shopping, and the fact that it's not something neccessary to do with Noah makes me a little blue.

Noah doesn’t really need school supplies in the traditional sense. He doesn’t need to bring his own pencils or crayons - his school has special ones he uses. He doesn’t need a dozen folders and notebooks or book covers. He doesn’t use a lunch box - packing a sandwich and chips for him just doesn’t would work…..

Our Wal-Mart has this huge display in the store this time of the year that has all the different grades and schools listed and then there perspective list of needed items. Of course, Noah’s school isn’t on the list and doesn’t have a hand out.

I guess I should be grateful for not having an added expense when raising a special needs child usually costs more than a typical child. But, I remember how fun school supply shopping was when I was child. It was something we looked forward to and Mom took us out and we bought everything we needed. How the clean new folers and notebooks were symbols of a new year, a fresh start. I see the other Moms at Wal-Mart with their children and buggies full of notebooks, folders, pencils, etc and I am a little sad that it’s just one of the little things we don’t do like everyone else

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came across your blog today and teared up while reading this. My daughter isnt old enough to go to school as of yet (she is 4) but there are so many other aspects of life that we watch other healthy children enjoy from the sidelines. My daughter is a transplant patient with a terminal disease called Mitochondrial Myopathy. Our journey as special needs parents is so much different (much like the title of your blog) and it is so easy for us to lose hope... but then they look at you with that look that only they can give you, and you realize you are so truly blessed!

I second Trisha: Hugs and stuff to you!
MitoMom

3:20 PM  
Blogger Moreena said...

Sometimes it is the littlest stuff that can be the most heartbreaking. Having learned over the years how to face the big stuff, then it's pencils that start the tears. Hugs to you.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Sarahlynn said...

So true.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I know what you mean - however I see it this way...our "school supplies" are different for Jenelle. Instead of pencils and folders, I prepare a new set of emeregency supply meds, new instructions on the g-tube and send cans of Pedisure with extension tubes and such. A "supply" for school, but not the usual pencil and crayon.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home