Monday, February 14, 2005

Letter to Noah

Moreena had a great idea after reading my post entitled "What do you call a person with a disability." Her suggestion was to write a letter to Noah about how I may address this very subject. My letter to Noah is below.
Continue reading...

My Noahie,

As your Mama, one of my jobs has always been to protect you. But as you grow older, it will get harder and harder for me to protect you from some things. I know you have noticed that you're special and different from others. Sometimes, other people may say mean things to you or make fun of you because you're different. I know this hurts your feelings, it hurts mine too.

You just have to not listen to them. They’re just jealous because they are not as special as you. When someone is mean to you, remember the good things about your self. Remember how smart you are and how much sign language you know and how you’re brave enough to ride the big roller coasters. Remember how many people in our community love you and pray for you and have showed you their support time and time again. Remember that your whole entire family loves you so much and we are so proud and lucky to have you in our family and lives!

I know you have seen me handing out the brochures we made about cerebral palsy before. I believe that sometimes when people stare or make comments - it’s not always because they are trying to be mean. They may just be uneducated, meaning they don’t know very much about cerebral palsy. So sometimes we may have to tell them a little bit about cerebral palsy and teach them that you’re not that different from everyone else!

You know how when Mama is sad sometimes she reads things that make her feel better? Well, the chorus of this song we hear on the radio sometimes makes Mama think of you. When you are sad, think of the words…..

“Don't laugh at me,
Don't call me names.
Don't get your pleasure from my pain,
In God's eyes we're all the same,
Someday we'll all have perfect wings.”


You’re so special baby boy, don’t you ever forget it!

Love,

Mama

2 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

Oh! What a beautiful letter! I am going to save this one, for sure!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was so right on it made me tear up, and I hardly ever cry.

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home