Wednesday, September 06, 2006

End of Summer

by Jennifer Graf Groneberg


There are signs that the seasons are turning: the midday sun is weaker on my face, the nights are chilly, a frenzy of squirrels cracks open pine cones all hours of the day and night. The leaves on the aspens are beginning to yellow. My garden has gone to seed. But none of these things tell me summer is over as much as the empty slot in the freezer door—the last box of Popsicles is gone.

read more


As usual, this summer was too much. Days that at once felt too long and too short. Birthdays (three), summer parties (two), afternoons at the lake (too many to name). And firsts: first bee sting (Bennett), first case of swimmer’s itch (Carter). All these things, so much to count, and yet I will remember this summer for what didn’t happen. I will remember it for what is missing.


Avery is still not walking.


I see other children with Down syndrome walk, even run, and I am taken aback. How is it that they do that? I realize that my amazement means I have given up on it, for us. At some point during these three years of trying, and waiting, and not-knowing, and worrying, I simply let go of it. My boy, who loves to be carried. My boy, full of hugs. My boy, near his mama. My boy who will not walk.


This summer he was fitted for braces. A thousand dollars, a thousand wishes. And still more places I didn’t think we’d go—to the Shriner’s, an organization that for my whole life meant nothing more to me than men in red fezzes riding around in little cars on parade days. Now, they mean aid. A place for assistance. Help. I don’t know how much I want Avery to walk until I feel the weight of it, the heaviness of him in my arms. I can not do it for him. I can not make it happen. I can’t do anything but hope, which feels like such a small thing. It might not be enough.


We practice taking steps over and over. Steps in my arms until my back is aching. Steps holding hands. Steps, and he stumbles. One definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again, each time expecting a different outcome. It is the shape of this summer’s days. Over and over, always expecting it to be different. Which is also, I have come to see, the meaning of hope.


The Popsicles are gone from the freezer. Time to turn toward the next season, with its Butternut Soup and braids of wheat bread. I think of kneading the dough, like I knead Avery’s muscles each night after his bath. Kneading, kneading. Hoping. Trying to find my faith in things like patience and repetition. Love. Time. All the right conditions. Trusting that like the loaves of bread, my son will rise.


submitted by Jennifer Graf Groneberg

Jennifer writes a column, Off the Beaten Path, for mamazine. She can also be found at jennifergrafgroneberg.com

9 Comments:

Blogger redheadmomma said...

Thank you for such a beautiful, painful post. I think that our collective amazement at things that other "normal" kids do isn't that we've given up -- it's simply observing something that's not currently happening in our world.

Your dedication could move mountains, Moreena. I admire your strength, and the way you're really turning over the concept of hope in your mind, finding out for yourself what that personal definition is. Thank you for writing this.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Moreena said...

redheadmomma -
I completely agree that this is a gorgeous piece. But, as much as I wish I had produced this lovely post, it was written by Jennifer Graf Groneberg (her name was at the top. I added it to the bottom, too, just to be sure it was clear). She writes a regular column over at mamazine.com

here's a link to her column:
off the beaten path

10:32 AM  
Blogger jennifergg said...

Oh it's ME whose honored, I'd gladly have my writing mixed up with Moreena's any day...

Thank you for the help posting it, Moreena, and for the opportunity to say what was in my heart. I really appreciate this blog.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Leightongirl said...

Just lovely. My son didn't walk until he was nearly six. I know how hard it can be, this waiting, this now knowing. But when it happened, what a miracle too.

5:47 PM  
Blogger jennifergg said...

Thank you everyone for the kind, encouraging words. And Ellie, I am already reading and enjoying your blog. Thanks for posting!

7:31 PM  
Blogger foodie suz said...

I agree that Jennifer is a fabulous writer.

Jennifer, where's that book that you should be working on??

Has anybody read 'Daniel isn't talking' by Marti Leimbach - I understand it is a novel, but it is based on her life as a mom of a boy with autism. She's woven memoir in with made-up details...

I think that is a a book about being a mom of a kid with Down syndrome begging to be written.

Jennifer?

8:38 AM  
Blogger jennifergg said...

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I find that no matter what I try to write, it always comes back to Avery. I think it's what's in my thoughts the most, right now.

And there are some fantastic writers on this blog (ones who have even posted comments here!) who should also be writing books. Here's to all of us!

7:37 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Wow, I also thank Moreena for providing the link to Jennifer's website and other writings. I have enjoyed this post a great deal. It touched me very deeply!

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was beutiful. Thank you. I know someday Abigail will walk and run. She is just so comfortble crawling and gets places so fast.THank you.
Carolu

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home