Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Something Else Please

I have spent hours pondering over my first post here. Each time I delete what I have written and gone onto something else. I am not sure how to begin or what to say. I feel like I am just repeating myself and then on the other hand, I don't want to talk about my son and what is going on in our lives. It is old and just the same old thing. I want to talk about something else. I want do something else. I want to be somewhere else other than the hospital for another Drs appt.
Continue reading...

I started a CaringBridge site to handle those things from our friends and those from our church. I grew weary after being asked for the millioneth time how Sean was. No one asked me about anything else other than Sean. While I love my son and he is a huge part of my life, I am kinda tired of Sean talk and would love to talk about something else.

Two of my dear friends knew how I was feeling and started to protected me from prying questions. They knew how much I needed 'something else' and not to talk about Sean. I thank them for doing such a sweet thing for me. Their simple act helped me feel like it was okay to not talk about Sean and to think about what I wanted and not what Sean needed even if it was for a few moments.

I sent out an email and let everyone know they could refer to this site for their updates. I told them I was tired of the questions over and over a million times each day. It was draining and time consuming as well as bothersome to my other boys. They always didn't know what was going on and my teenage son felt put out by the questions. Always about Sena. Never about how he was doing or the other boys. It was nice to go to church and not be hounded about things or to have a million calls about Sean's latest surgery. It gave us time to focus on our other boys while Sean was in the hospital.

This site also stopped the rumors. It was straight from us and not second/third hand. I wished I had had it when Sean was younger. It would have prevented some heartache and stress.

My name is Shelly and Sean is one of my 4 sons. He is 6 and has VACTERL Syndrome. You can go to his caring bridge site to learn more about his conditions. I also have a blog with somethings on there to help those in need of more information and my place to vent. We are on a journey through life and learning things we dreamed ever existed in our world.

4 Comments:

Blogger Moreena said...

Welcome, Shelly.
I'm so glad you posted. I know it can be hard to have a disease, a set of letters listed after your child's name, be the definining characteristic in your life.

7:52 AM  
Blogger BStrong said...

I couldn't agree more. We love our children and they are obviously a big part of our lives. Children with special needs certainly require a little more attention then typical children and it may appear to your friends that your life revolves around Shawn. People need to understand that you are more than just a mother of a special needs child. You probably have the same interests now as you had before Shawn was born. Be yourself.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Tara Marie said...

What a beautiful family you have Shelly. I visited your caringbridge site to read about VACTERL Syndrome, and I love the picture of Sean deep in thought,,,what an amazing picture.

I'm glad you will be writing about 'something else' and look forward to reading you posts.

Peace, Tara Marie & Emma Sage and clan

8:43 PM  
Blogger Sarahlynn said...

Welcome, welcome.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home