Saturday, April 16, 2005

It's OK

I have the spastic diplegia form of cerebral palsy. I've had it all my life and I always will have it. And I've had to use a wheelchair to a certain extent the whole time. But that's ok.
Continue reading...

It might not be curable but then if I was offered a cure I would more than likely turn it down. If I was offered the chance to have never had it I would definitely turn it down. I have had so many experience that I wouldn't have had if it wasn't for my cp and I've met some great people I wouldn't have otherwise (because they are doctors, nurses, carers, physios etc). Plain and simple I wouldn't be the Emma who sits here writing this if I wasn't disabled.

Actually if I had the chance to have had it but not to have it any more I would probably say "no thanks I'm fine as I am." Because even though I might have had the odd day as I was growing up where I hated it, it's never been that much of a big deal.

Having CP isn’t a problem for me. At times it is an annoyance, a difficulty I could do with out. But most of the time being disabled and perhaps having CP in particular (having no experience on a personal level with having a long term illness or being disabled through other circumstances I’m not really qualified to know those things) is something which I don’t even consciously acknowledge. It’s simply a part of my life, but it doesn’t rule my life. That's just because I refuse to let it.

If I woke up tomorrow and I could walk, if I woke up and I no longer had my comfortable little flat in Holland but instead had one in Italy I would freak out and there's no way I could cope. Not having CP might make me "normal" but really there is no such thing as normal just average. And average is boring.

Life with CP. It's not bad, it's not difficult, it's not something which is hard or painful for me and it's not something I need pity for. It just is.

And it really is ok.

that said... if someone offered to swop with me and have my CP for one day I would take them up on it... It's always nice to see how the other half lives!

~Emma

2 Comments:

Blogger none said...

Thanks for writing this. I have read something similar from an adult autistic I know, and I hope and work towards that my son will grow up to feel the same.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Moreena said...

Thanks, Emma.
I love that you will be able to give us insight from the child-all-grown-up point of view, too. First and foremost we here are all parents, and would love to be able to know what in the world our kids are thinking and what they want us to know.

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home